National Register of Historic Landmark Buildings
Renovation of this 1914 vintage building re-created the beauty of the design created by renowned Oakland architect Julia Morgan following damage suffered by the Loma Prieta earthquake.
LCA Architects was hired to prepare the background analysis and justification documents necessary to obtain FEMA funding, state historic preservation office approvals, and to design the restoration of the exterior facades and interior finishes and building code and ADA accessibility upgrades.
The ornate plaster capitals and wood embellishments were retained while the building’s structure was reinforced and its electrical and plumbing systems were replaced. Each plank in the 12 foot high paneling in the gymnasium was removed and catalogued to that it could be returned to its exact position. Original fixtures such as lighting, sinks and toilets were saved to retain the building’s historic fabric. Even the radiators in the building were retained.